Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hasta Luego


            As my time in Ecuador comes to a rapid close, I am amazed by how fast this year has gone by. It feels like just yesterday I was attempting to fit everything in my suitcases and sitting on them to make them close. Oh wait, that was just yesterday. :) I remember feeling anxious and excited, unsure of what the year would bring. Now I’m feeling the same way about returning to the United States. Before continuing to reflect on the past year, I’ll fill you in on the past couple of months.
            Back in June, I started attempting to search for jobs. I thought it might be difficult applying and interviewing from Ecuador, but luckily, people were willing to work with me and set up interviews via Skype. I was always crossing my fingers that my internet would hold out and fortunately, it all worked out. Come September, I’ll be teaching kindergarten in West Linn in a one-way dual language program. I’ll have about 30 students that only speak English and will be learning to read, write, and do math in Spanish only. In the afternoon, we’ll do other subjects in English. It’s going to be a challenge, but I’m excited to have my own classroom and the opportunity to continue using Spanish. Now if only my roommates and I had a place to live...
            Toward the beginning of June, we had our end of service meeting in Quito. I knew it would be the last time I saw some people, but because of that, we made sure to celebrate. On Saturday evening, we got a chiva aka a party bus that goes around the city with flashing lights and music playing. We had one in September when our orientation ended and thought it was only appropriate to end our year with one as well. Though we had just had our end of service meeting, we still had a little over a month of teaching left, so it wasn’t time to check out just yet.
            In the last few weeks, we’ve been trying to fit in weekend trips that have been on our list all year. We went to Quilotoa, a crater lake a couple of hours from Ambato. We had been told it was cold there, but I was not quite prepared for that. Luckily, our hostel had fires and tea. I think we ended up hiking for 5 or 6 hours on Sunday after we had gotten lost a couple of times. It was fun and well worth the views, but by the end, we were wet and exhausted. 

Quilotoa
            The next weekend, a few of the girls and I went to Otavalo, which has a huge market of handicrafts. I stocked up on gifts, and a few things for myself. :) We also went to another crater lake called Cuicocha. We didn’t have time to hike around it as we had originally intended, but it was still a good way to spend a Sunday morning. 

Cuicocha
            In July, I turned 24 and during that weekend, we went to Baños one last time. On Friday, we went to a French restaurant for dinner and my friends bought my dinner and made sure I had a crepe and ice cream brought out to me so they could sing happy birthday. On Saturday, we went canyoning. This is where you repel down little waterfalls. We were definitely freezing even with wet suits on, but it’s an experience I’m glad we had, as I’m not sure we’d ever be able to do something like that again. On Saturday night, we had cake and champagne. Even though I was away from home on my birthday, I definitely appreciated all my friends did to make it special. 

Cayoning with Amanda!
            The next week, we spent our last days working by finishing up giving and grading exams and checking a few things off of our Ambato tourist list. That weekend, I visited my host family in Quito for the first time since I left their house in September and came to Ambato. It was really great to see all of them again and I’m glad I got to see them one last time before I left. 

Quito host family with my newly acquired Ecuador flag thanks to Daniel.
            After months of trying to find a time to finally make it out to the Amazon region, the Ambato crew took an 8 hour bus ride Sunday evening to Lago Agrio in the east, then were picked up by our lodge, had a 2 hour car ride to a river, and then a 2 hour canoe ride to finally make it out to the lodge in Cuyabeno. We did some forest walks, canoe rides to spot birds, anacondas, and caiman, and had some relaxing hammock time along with lots of laughs. 

Sunrise bird watching canoe ride
I’m really glad I got to spend my last week visiting a place that’s so different from what I’ve experienced before and that I got to spend my last week with some of my closest friends here. We’ve all been through a lot of highs and lows, but we’ve supported each other along the way. I’m so glad to have been placed where I was with the people I was placed with. They’ve made this whole year worth it. The past month has been a month of goodbyes and so many mixed emotions. Last year, I had no idea what I was going to encounter in Ecuador, I just knew that this was something I needed to do. I’m so glad I did it, took a chance, and threw myself into the unknown. I’ve met a lot of great people and have had too many adventures to count. It’s a bit scary thinking of going back and adjusting to a new life again, but I’m ready for whatever’s next. I can’t wait to see family and friends again. I’m sad to be saying goodbye to my life here and the excitement and adventure that was always around the corner, but I know I’m changed for the better. A few months ago, I asked a friend who had returned to the U.S. from a year in Ecuador what it was like. He said he found himself trying to find excitement in the little things. Exploring his town and making his own adventures. We all worry about going back to a mundane life after this, but I guess that’s what it’s all about. Finding excitement and adventure in even the small things. All of life’s a journey and an adventure. One chapter’s closing and another is beginning. Again, I have no idea what to expect, but I know good things are headed my way. In two days, I will be back in the U.S. Leaving is a bittersweet feeling, but I know I’m ready for what’s next. Hasta luego, Ecuador.
           

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you Liss :) Even though it always feels weird going home, just believe me when I said you'll always have your own adventures in your classroom! I have some stuff I can send your way to help you prep for kinders that align with common core :)

    Safe travels back to OR. Let's skype when you get settled :) Such an awesome school district, and when I visit in June, I'll definitely let you know WAY in advance when I can see you :)

    WUV WUV & MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete